What is a mooring winch?
The mooring operation plays an important role in the operation of ships, and offshore operations need to be equipped with sturdy and reliable mooring winches.
Mooring winch will work effectively when the ship is berthed or docked, and has many functions such as drift, support and positioning during loading and unloading, and at the same time, it can adjust and compensate for the deviation caused by vibration with a constant tension.
What Are The Two Types of Mooring Winches?
Aicrane mooring winches consist of up to three mooring drums with a nominal pulling force ranging from 5 tons to 100 tons.
Depending on the power source, there are two main types of mooring equipment: electric and hydraulic winches.
Electric Mooring Winch
The electric winch is easy to manage and has a compact structure, so it is currently widely used.
The electric motor of the single-drum electric winch drives the drum through the reducer, and a brake is installed between the electric motor and the input shaft of the reducer.
In order to meet the needs of traction and rotation, there are double drum and triple drum winches.
Hydraulic Mooring Winch
Hydraulic winch is suitable for larger rated loads.
Its structure is mainly composed of hydraulic motor (low-speed or high-speed motor), hydraulic normally closed multi-disc brake, planetary gear box, clutch (optional), drum, support shaft, frame, rope press (optional), etc.
The hydraulic winch has the characteristics of compactness, small size, light weight and beautiful appearance in structure. In terms of performance, it has the characteristics of good safety, high efficiency, large starting torque, good low-speed stability, low noise, and reliable operation.
Other Types Of Mooring Equipment
Windlass mooring winch
Mooring winch with warping head
Explosion proof mooring winch
Features of Aicrane Ship Mooring Equipment
- Manual or hydraulic clutch
- Band brake
- Single, double or variable speed
- Variable constant tension option
- Warping head
- Rope spooling device
Send Your Inquiry!
Please kindly provide the following information so that we can quote you:
- Rated load: ton?
- Drum capacity: m?
- Speed: m/min?
- Electric or hydraulic?
- Single drum or double drum?
- Do you need a rope spooling device?
- Other requirements
Contact us today to the latest mooring winch price!
More Information About Mooring Winches
What is the purpose of mooring winch?
The winch has the function of retracting, holding and storing the rope on the drum, and this kind of ship mooring equipment can also be used to winch the rope.
Common mooring methods used for ships
- Wharf mooring
- Ship to ship mooring
- Single point mooring
- Multi-buoy mooring
Technical Requirements of Mooring Winch For Ships
Drum load – When running at the corresponding nominal speed, the load of the drum should not be greater than 33% of the designed rope breaking load.
Holding load – The supporting load should not be less than 80% of the design rope breaking load.
Recovery load – The recovery load should not be less than 50% of the drum load.
Release load – The release load should not be greater than 50% of the design rope breaking load.
1. Tensile strength of 1 520 N/mm and 1 667 N/mm round strand steel wire rope can be used when designing the drum. Synthetic fibers or other types of ropes can also be used.
2. The diameter of the drum shall meet the following requirements:
- Use round stranded wire rope: the diameter of the drum should not be less than 16 times the designed rope diameter;
- Use polycool or polyphthalamide rope: the diameter of the drumshould not be less than 6 times the designed rope diameter;
- Use polypropylene rope: the diameter of the drum should not be less than 4 times the designed rope diameter.
3. The length of the drum shall meet the following requirements:
- The length of the drum of normal capacity should be able to wrap the full length of the designed rope and not exceed 5 layers;
- The length of the large-capacitydrum should be able to wrap the full length of the designed rope and not exceed 8 layers;
- In order to prolong the service life of the rope, heavy load should not be applied when the rope wound on the drumexceeds 4 layers. It is recommended to use a double drum, and the number of rope layers in a drum for storing the rope can be increased.
4. The height of the flange of the drum shall meet the following requirements:
- When all the ropes are wound on adrum of normal capacity, the height of the flange beyond the outer rope should not be less than 1.5 times the rope diameter;
- The large-capacity drum should be designed so that the outer rope cannot exceed the height of the flange when all the ropes are stored on the drum. The ropes of each layer should be stacked on top of each other, and no rope diameter should be offset between two adjacent layers.
5. Control braking device
The electric winch must be equipped with an automatic control braking device. When the joystick or handwheel is moved to the stop or braking position or the winch is without power, the control braking device should automatically brake.
The braking device must be able to withstand 1.5 times the load of the drum, and be able to stop the rotation of the drum at the maximum speed without failure.
For winches of other drive types, they can adopt a suitable braking device, which should also be able to withstand 1.5 times the drum load.
6. Drum brake
Each winch needs to be equipped with a drum brake device.
For double drum mooring winches or winches with warping heads, a clutch should be set between the driving device and the drum.
8. Warping head
Mooring winches can be equipped with or without a warping head, and the shape of the warping head should meet the requirements of GB 7390.
9. Rope spooling device
If the customer proposes, an automatic rope spooling device can be installed on the winch.
For more information, contact our winch experts!